eau de souche

Eau de Souche, Calce

’Fresh Prince of Calce’.
Lionel Gauby is born and raised in the tiny village of Calce on a hill squeezed in between Corbières and the Pyrénées, French Catalonia. He has been making wine together with his father at Domaine Gauby since he was 13 years old and more or less full-time since he was 15 (he didn’t like school that much).

Since 2010, he is fully responsible for the vinification at Domaine Gauby and the wines have improved every year since then. So, Eau de Souche: Lionel felt he needed to do something by himself with maximum freedom and sees this first project of his as a kind of therapy and a possibility to get away from the family business for a while.

 2015 is his first vintage, made in the old cellar that Tom Lubbe at Domaine Matassa had used until then. When Tom moved out to get something bigger and slightly more proper, Lionel took this opportunity and made it his ’château’. He bought a few tanks, a manual press and brought one concrete pyramid (which he invented by himself) with him. All work is done without any electricity in this tiny little place. All fruit are bought from Domaine Gauby and from a friend who works organically in the Espira-de-l’Agly valley.


We are very proud and happy to be Lionel’s first importer, we love these vibrant, energetic wines, light but with depth and lots of pure fruit.

 

2017 Sub’Marie

Soil: Calcaire and Schist.
Grape: 45% Grenache 30% Cinsault 25% Cabernet Sauvignon
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: Planted in 1940-2005
Yields: 20 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation for 11 days. Careful pressing and then aged in old oak, bottled in November 2019. 1000 bottles produced.


2018 Gorge Profond

Soil: Calcaire and Schist.
Grape: 90% Syrah, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: Syrah planted in 1986, Cabernet Sauvignon planted in 2005
Yields: 20 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation for 10 days, and then aged in stainless steel tanks and concrete pyramid, bottled in September 2018. 1000 bottles produced.


2016 Bedit Vilou. Slang from Petit Filou (your little fool)

Soil: Calcaire
Grape: Grenache
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: 100 years old
Yields: 20 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation for 20 days and aged in fiber glass tanks. Bottled in march 2018.
300 bottles produced.


2015 Le Monde est une Ferme

Soil: Schist
Grape: Grenache Noir
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: Planted in 1935-1985
Yields: 30 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation with the skins during 10 days for the younger wines (70%), and 10 weeks for the oldest remaining (30%). It’s then pressed manually and aged in stainless steel tanks before bottling in April 2016.
2000 bottles produced.


2015 Wokety Pokety

Soil: Calcaire and schist
Grape: 80% Syrah, 20% Cinsault (pied franco)
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: Syrah planted in 1985, Cinsault planted in 2012
Yields: 20 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation for 10 days, and then aged in stainless steel tanks and concrete pyramid, bottled in April 2016.
1000 bottles produced.


2013 Gaubzilla

Soil: Calcaire and schist, La Jasse vineyard
Grape: Mourvèdre
Appellation: Vin de France
Age of Vines: Planted in 1978
Yields: 20 hl/h

Vinification: Whole bunch fermentation for 14 days and aged in old foudres for 42 months before bottling.